I don’t know what the weather has been doing in your neck of the woods, but around Northeast Tennessee, it has been going back and forth between 70 degrees one week and 30 the next. Confusing and frustrating, to say the least. However, on those 30 degree days, it is awfully nice to hunker down with a hearty, comforting meal like this Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili! Easy to whip up, super healthy, and makes for some fabulous leftovers!
Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Adapted from www.skinnytaste.com
- 1 to 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey (93/7 works best)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with green chilis
- 15 oz can black beans
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- fresh cilantro and sour cream for garnish, if desired
Brown turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small chunks. Add salt and cumin. When meat is cooked through, add onion and garlic; cook for three minutes over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients, then cover and simmer over low-medium heat for 25 minutes. Make sure potatoes are soft and cooked through. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh sprigs of cilantro.
This dish is sure to please and last a few days! We give this recipe 4.5 herbs!
- *1 to 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey
- *Kosher salt, to taste
- *3 tbsp minced garlic
- *1/2 cup chopped onion
- *8 oz can tomato sauce
- *10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with green chilis
- *15 oz can black beans
- *3/4 cup water
- *1/2 tsp cumin
- *1/4 tsp chili powder
- *1/4 tsp paprika
- *1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- *fresh cilantro and sour cream for garnish, if desired
- Brown turkey in large skillet over medium-high heat; season with salt and cumin. Add onion and garlic and cook for three minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining ingredients except for sour cream and cilantro. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Serve immediately with garnish.