Sometimes, you just have to be creative with the ingredients you have on hand because you forgot to plan ahead for dinner. This week, I was able to come up with a recipe similar to others I’ve seen before. I happened to have some chicken and a bottle of Caribbean Jerk marinade, and, well, the rest just happened to be lying around.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 bottle of Caribbean Jerk marinade
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup quinoa (you could also use rice)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 small jalapeno
- 1 lime
- a handful of fresh cilantro
Marinade chicken for at least a few hours (24 hours would be best). Bring chicken stock and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all moisture is absorbed. Meanwhile, grill the chicken until cooked through and chop it up. Next, heat beans in a small skillet, and then mince the jalapeno and add to skillet.
When quinoa has cooked, fluff with a fork and squeeze the juice of the lime over it. Chop up some cilantro and mix in as well. Place quinoa in bowl, then add beans, chicken, and pineapple.
This dish was tasty and unique, but I think there are some things you could do to add to it (fried plantains, for instance). It was kind of a lot of work, but it was healthy, nutritious, and interesting. Mister Spice and I give the recipe 4/5 herbs.
- *2-3 chicken breasts
- *1 bottle of Caribbean Jerk marinade
- *1 can black beans
- *1 cup quinoa (you could also use rice)
- *2 cups chicken stock
- *1-2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- *1 small jalapeno
- *1 lime
- *a handful of fresh cilantro
- Marinade chicken for several hours or overnight.
- Bring quinoa and chicken stock to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until all moisture is absorbed.
- Grill chicken until cooked through, then chop into small pieces.
- Heat beans in a small skillet, then add minced jalapeno. Cook until heated through.
- Squeeze lime juice over quinoa and mix well; add chopped cilantro.
- Assemble quinoa, chicken, beans, and pineapple in bowl. Garnish with cilantro.
a food blog, visit here: Food Blog Resources Page
Where to next? Check out a Top Article